Apr 23, 2021, 04:09 PM

News:

This is still mainly a testing forum; at the moment I cannot guarantee that it will remain; the software is a release candidate (RC3) only.

Survival in Isaan (at "Fi dam")

Started by Johnnie F., Feb 25, 2019, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie F.

I would like to suggest a thread  with advice and hints on how to optimally prepare for the normal unforeseen, and not only for the case of emergency helpful equipment and equipment kept "just in case" but appliances that should be integrated into one's life, so that emergency situations become minimal exceptions.

1. Emergency light (lantern)

Power failures in storms and flood etc. are unfortunately all too common here. Candlelight as a temporary replacement may be romantic, but one should not underestimate the risk of fire. Keeping flashlights and enough batteries ready for emergencies or keeping them charged is a good measure. Today's LED technology also makes it possible to extract a great deal of energy and the last bit from batteries, as well as keeping battery consumption low.

However, clinging to a flashlight and illuminating as much as possible around you in the field of perception is not for everyone. Rather, I have the kerosene lamp in my head, which the guard holds hanging in his hand during his tour. But kerosene lamps are no less dangerous than candles, besides for the smell of petroleum.

What I have discovered while surfing the Internet, ordered and tried out myself, and would like to recommend here for purchase, is an LED lamp similar to the kerosene lamp.

It has 12 LEDs, 4 on each three sides, light-amplifying and scattering reflectors, and is operated with three Mignon batteries (AA, R6), plus has a dimmer, that allows to adjust the strength of light steplessly, shines with light temperature 'cold white' quite brightly all around, can be arried hanging on the little finger, is very light (with batteries about 200 grams), reasonably robust (mine works despite repeated drops on the floor still) and costs about 150 to 200 baht including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-LED-Bivouac-Hiking-Lantern-Camping-fishing-tent-lamp-Light-handle-w-Compass/392043394723

You rarely need the embedded compass, or not at all, but it does not hurt either. It is IMO a universal lamp, that in Isaan should be standard equipment in every house. For example it is also good, if you want to sit in the garden in the evening. Not everyone has installed electricity in their garden and installed lamps. (I'll come back to that topic later!)

The evening "patrol" becomes a relaxing habit with such equipment and you do not need to make extra provision for emergencies.

Will be continued...[/b]

Johnnie F.

2 Emergency power supply

"Why not just buy a a backup generator", somebody had asked me.

a) costs a lot in the purchase, is a "luxury item".

b) must be maintained and kept ready for the likely rather rare application. Sometimes it is just then not ready for action when the need is on the man. A mechanic who repairs it quickly and with a flashlight is not always easy to find. And there must be fuel ...

I actually meant the little things of everyday life for an "optimal" lifestyle, in order to master the normal unpredictable emergencies better.

If you have a car, or just a charged car battery, you can supply yourself with the necessary 220V alternating current via an inverter (inverter). The part gave me alreadyfor about 12 years good service, and was with THB 700 (in the IT Plaza) also not overpriced. Now you can get them still for about 1,000 Baht. There is a small fan built in for cooling. Too high power consumption or insufficient power supply engages an automatic Fuse to avoid deep discharge of the battery etc.

There are also much larger devices with more power. In the garage I also have a small 300 W, which you plug into the cigarette lighter socket in the car.

With such combinations (car or car battery + inverter) you can survive temporary power outages without large investments and maintenance, and directly connect devices that need to be supplied. A floor or desk lamp and a fan will do it for a few hours with a car battery only.

While the refrigerator and refrigerator are supplied with urgently needed power by the running car engine, alternator and inverter, so that their contents do not thaw and spoil, and notebook and smartphone batteries are recharged, you can, by the way, take a nap in the air-conditioned passenger compartment, if you fit in there relaxed.